October 30, 2008

Mai Pen Rai

It is taking some time to adjust to the different way of life here. And by saying 'here' I mean the compound, plantation, out in the boonies, Timbuktu, the sticks also known as the Bang Na campus. I feel so far removed from civilization. I am a city girl born and bred and have never lived outside of Chicago. I even went to college in the city. And now I have completely transplanted myself to a place where I am surrounded by rice fields and completely out of my element. In some ways I feel like I am an 18 year old kid and away at a small college town for the year. There is no public transportation anywhere near me with the exception of taxis. And I am not that brave to take one by myself. Even though this is a relatively safe country, you never know...especially when the driver has to take 3 back roads just to get on or off campus. Its a bit ridiculous. I am not liking the fact that I feel as though I am losing some of my independence, shouldn't this experience be the other way around? I guess I am just learning to deal with all this...mai pen rai...a common thai saying...which translates to no big deal, no worries, its okay, never mind, its cool. I must say that not for one moment have I ever thought twice about the decision I made by coming here. I am still very much happy that I am here and experiencing everything around me. But I will be honest I am sooooo excited and thankful that majority of us are heading to the city for the weekend. Tomorrow afternoon can not get here soon enough. Shannon was amazing and scored a hostel for some of us. She also found a 25 kilometer bike riding tour that I am going to do on Saturday. I look forward to wandering aimlessly around the city...oh and I have this sneaking suspicion that I am going to feel right at home! Until then...

3 comments:

Chicago Girl does good said...

Have fun this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hey no new additions to the fish count. Maybe in the city you will have something new to try. Remember to pick up some info for me.

Kim said...

Heidi - if I could drive to Thailand I would pick you up and take you out for a beer myself. You know I would. You haven't been there that long and you're already making an amazing adjustment. Give it some more time. You sound just like me when I went off to Millikin University. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere. I was surrounded by soy fields. You'll get more comfortable with your surroundings once things start moving along.

I'm sending a package soon so let me know if you need/want anything before I ship it. Enjoy your weekend!! Love you.