April 17, 2009

Ho Chi Minh City (Siagon)

Ho Chi Minh City is the largest city in Vietnam. First order of business upon our arrival was to find some good Pho. We didn't have to go far, our guesthouse had a great little pho stand. Mmmm. After our bellies were full we headed off to the War Remnants Museum. The museum had several exhibits...including graphic photographs, effects of Agent Orange, and the use of napalm and phosphorus bombs.

The next day we took a day tour of the Cu Chi tunnels. The tunnels were used by Viet Cong guerrillas as hiding spots during combat. There were trap doors leading to the tunnels that were camouflaged and undetectable and they were tiny. TINY. There were also booby traps with bamboo spikes and several bomb craters.

On our way to the airport to catch a flight to Cambodia we had the worlds worst (or angriest) driver. I seriously thought we were going to crash. Not only did he have some serious road rage with another car he never took his finger off the horn...Honk honk honk...honk honk honk. I felt my stomach in my throat a couple of times. I couldn't tell if me wincing at the near collisions was a thrill for him or what? May I remind you that traffic in Vietnam is INSANE. Insane!!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Only 2 pictures?? I live for the pictures.

Eileen said...

wow. Having lived through that time period I think I would have a hard time seeing some of the things you described. Even though it was over 40 yrs ago, I still think I would be uncomfortable.