May 9, 2009

Bali, Indonesia

Bali was very beautiful and amazing....Don't I say that alot? I am not lying when I say that southeast Asia really is a sight to see!! So Jenn, Shannon and I flew to Indonesia from Bkk and immediately headed for the beach. We then met some friends (Lauren and Carly) for dinner in Jimbaran Bay. It was our last southeast adventure with Lauren, as she headed back to the states.
The next day, Shannon and I took surfing lessons. HA HA HA HA My instrustor Ari was a hoot. "Okay standby....GOOOOOO!!!!!" I fell over more than I stood up...but had a blast...and only minor bruising. Surfing apparently is NOT going to be my new hobby.
Anyway, the next day we headed to Kintamani/Danau Buyan area. The scenery was absolutely stunning - mountains, greenery, volcanoes, rice paddies... Jenn and I decided to trek up Mount Batur (1717 meters = 5633 feet OR in simple terms I climbed about up about 4 Sears towers or wait whats it called now Willis tower?) at 4:00am to see the sunrise. The hike took about 2 hours-in the dark, and I had no flashlight but thank goodness for our guide, Newman, who took my hand periodically to help lead me up the mountain. The top of the mountain was cold and our sunrise was a bit cloudy. We ate hard boiled eggs and banana sandwiches that were cooked in the volcano. MMMMM. We then hiked over to see some craters and then down. Back to our guesthouse by 10:00am. Six good hours of hiking!!!
Next up was this cute little town Ubud. Which is known for their artistry, wood products and their babi guling (Balinese suckling pig dish). Jenn and I stayed a few days and probably ate the best Indonesian food ever. We then ventured back to the beach, this time away for the chaotic Kuta and towards a more low key place, Seminyak. This beach had some rough currents and we weren't aloud to swim...booo....so therefore we moved back to Kuta beach as we wanted to play in the waves before we headed up to Malaysia.

I will post pictures when I get back to Bangkok.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Who is writing this blog? Is this my daughter Heidi. She is doing so many different thing I can not keep up to all the different things she had done.

Eileen said...

Couldn't you find a hibachi closer to sea level. Banana and Hardboiled egg sandwiches, cooked in a volcano.....A new culinary treat. Did you eat the delicious suckling pig???? Is this a side effect of swine flu... you are now eating pork?