June 18, 2009

Wai Kru Ceremony


Wai Kru Ceremony is a Thai ritual in which students pay respect to their teachers in order to express their gratitude and formalize the student–teacher relationship. The ceremony is usually held shortly after the beginning of the first term, on a Thursday, as Thursday is traditionally the day of Bhaspati, Vedic god of wisdom and teachers. The students recite the wai khru chant, which expresses respect for and gratitude to the teachers, and asks for the teachers' blessing of their studies. Following this, a select number of students, usually the representatives of each class, will present the teachers with offerings of flowers, candles and joss sticks (Wikipedia). I saw one of my students, Bomb, before the ceremony and he was a class representative for his major/faculty (Bio-technology). He is one of the students in the video below! Watch it!


I snuck in the picture of me, so you can see my pretty smiling face! Ha Ha! I know how all of you love it when I take those kinds of pictures.

2 comments:

JS&A said...

You are so cute! That's so cool...more and more I want to move to Thailand. Did I tell you that Chicago has turned into Seattle?

Linda Flaherty said...

Hey Heidi. This is so great and how beautiful the ceremony looks. Beats some of the graduations here in Chi-Town.

By the way, the bars here are losing business since you've been away.

We are finally getting some hot weather and then some.

Love you!
Linda