August 16, 2009

Queen's Birthday aka Mother's Day


Last Wednesday was the Queen's birthday here in Thailand (Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s 77th birthday) which is also known as Mother's Day....which is also known as a public holiday! YAY, no work on a Wednesday! So I was going to head to a Wat that I have been wanting to see....for oh I don't know about 10 months now...but on my way I saw hundreds and I mean hundreds of people wearing blue. Perplexed, I got off the bus to check it out...Ah a parade in the Queen's honor. Cool. So why the blue? In Thai tradition, there is an astrological rule that assigns color for each day of the week. The color is assigned based on the color of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow color (Wikipedia). And the Queen was born on a Friday...hence the blue.
Anyways I hung around the area walking up and down waiting for the parade to start...and when it did...it was amazing.

Then as nighttime drew near ropes of lights (think Christmas tree lights) turned on...it was beautiful. As I was heading back to find my bus stop to return home fireworks lit up the sky! What a great day.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Those unexpected events are always the best. Happy B-day Queenie!

JS&A said...

That's awsome! I wish that stuff happened here! I think Wednesdays are green, Jane mentioned that to me, my moms Thai friend.
Great Pics!

Linda Flaherty said...

I continue to be amazed at the beauty you are seeing and it shows in the photos. How fabulous!

Thinking of you with love!

Linda