January 12, 2010

A whole new world...Samet.

Samet...as you know is one of my favorite places in Thailand. But this time, Shannon and I decided to explore some unfamiliar ground. Instead of turning left, as we have every single time, we turned right when we got off the boat. We walked a bit and stopped at this cute little German guesthouse (Baan-Pra-Kai-Kaew) and got a room right on the water. After sunning ourselves at the beach we decided to go for a walk and explore this new area. We walked past kiddos laughing and playing in the road, past homemade surfboard boats, walked along piers, watched a game of volleyball, and climbed some rocks.
Along our walk, Shannon mentioned she wanted wine. I decided to accept that challenge and so we set off to find wine. Low and behold we purchased two bottles of Thailands finest (uh-huh) wine from 7/11...yes you heard me 7/11. HA. These were little mini bottles but they did the job....not to mention the few other glasses I had after dinner. But who's counting? I was in a fit of giggles the rest of the night. We were playing cards and at times I had tears in my eyes laughing so hard at who knows what. Its moments like these that I live for. So happy. And on my last day there (Shannon had left the day before), as I headed to the pier to head back to Bangkok, a woman stopped me and asked if I wanted a ride...in her little side-car...ummm sure why not...I have always wanted to. I felt like a 7 year old kid laughing as we went up and down the hills and hit bumps and took sharp turns. When she dropped me off I thanked her and she said "Mai Pen Rai, ka" (No worries). How unbelievably nice of that woman. She wanted nothing in return. I was so lucky to receive this random act of kindness. I am happy that people like this exist in our world....makes me want to do some random acts of kindness too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm picturing this conversation...

S: "I want wine."
H: "I accept your challenge."

Love it. Great blog, Heidi. I'm glad we explored new territory on that beautiful island!

Eileen said...

Pay it forward!