December 28, 2008

Christmas in Paradise???

Um, not so much. Island beauty, okay yes but resort, no! The resort I booked was to say the least not what I expected or where I expected. When I was there (Ko Samet Island) in November I thought I saw what was going to be our resort...Samet Villa Resort...but when we got to the island the other day I was informed that our resort Samet Ville Resort was on the waaaay south part of the island and the south part of the island is waaaaay secluded. So lets say hello to all the couples, lovers, and gag me with public display of affectioners. In order to get to our resort we have to take a taxi...let me see if I can explain this one road and taxi business to you...hmmf for starters its a dirt road, hilly, bumpy, a bunch of rocks EVERYWHERE, lots of holes and ruts in the ground, and you better hold on for your life or you will fall off the back of the pick up truck taxi.
When we arrived (all dusty and with our stomachs in our throats) immediately you could see my moms dislike. Great. Well we don't have a choice as I prepaid for the room weeks ago, on my credit card. Fine, we will deal with it and make the best of the place...it is after all our Christmas holiday. So we freshen up and go grab a bite to eat. Where oh where shall we go? Oh that's right the resort only has one restaurant...simply fabulous...not! Lets watch TV...oh 3 channels and all in Thai, lets go online...oh no Internet...ok, well then lets just call it a night. Tomorrow should be better.
Wake up Christmas morning. Awe my mom has some gifts for me. Lets go to the beach...oh boo its cloudy. (So sad I know, I know I know most of you woke up on Christmas morning to below zero weather and snow on the ground- fine I will quit my complaining about some clouds). We lounged on the beach for the better part of the day. Then we took the ever so wonderful pickup taxi to the main beach for our Christmas dinner. Now it just so happens that my friend Phil, from grammar school, was on the island for Christmas as well. So we met up and had Christmas dinner together.

The next day...instead of staying at our secluded beach with its one not so good restaurant and lovers lane resort we opted to go back to the main beach...AAH yes people, AAAH yes an oil massage, AAAH yes a nice beach, AAAH yes good food.

Okay fast forward to today. We get up early for breakfast and I have a momentary lapse in reason and I leave my wallet in the room (I'll get to that in a minute). After breakfast we ask if there is an earlier boat back to the mainland as we were scheduled to leave at 11:30am. Yes, 8:45am. YAY its 8:30am now. Great, we'll be right back with our belongings. Okay 8:42am ready for the boat. 8:57am where is the boat? 9:13 still waiting...9:28 finally! We get to the pier, now where is the bus station? We are trying to catch the 10:00am bus. Nope bus is full. 11:00am is available...yes I'll take two please. I grab my wallet, open it up to find 2000 baht stolen. MOM- DID YOU TAKE MONEY OUT OF MY WALLET??? No...OMG OMG OMG. When did that happen? Oh yah, my momentary lapse in reason when I forgot my wallet in the room this morning. Fuckers (sorry for the foul language) And I know exactly who did it too...the little weasel who was sweeping out front of the next bungalow. He saw us leave with no belongings. Bastard. My mom kept trying to put a positive spin on it by saying that things must have been so bad for the person that they had to resort to stealing. Chances are they must have really needed it. BUT STILL!!! BASTARD!
Needless to say, I am glad I am back in Bangkok and done with that resort. I had a great time regardless as I got to spend the Christmas holiday with my mom! We are currently packing up her belongings and getting things ready for her departure in a few days. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about all that went wrong, but you got to spend Christmas with your mom! Plus you didn't have to deal with the crazy Chicago weather (freeze, snow, fog, record Dec high temp, and flooding from the melting snow - all in one week!). Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. Looks like Mom and you had a great time.

Sean