December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving and the weekend.

Celebrating a holiday in a country where no one knows what you are talking about was quite hilarious. Fortunately there is Sam from the International Programs office who is taking us under her wing (she feels so bad at the way we have been treated with our director)...She found a place in the city that was serving Thanksgiving dinner. YAHOO. Pass me the mashed potatoes...oh no there was none...but there was turkey! HECK YEAH TURKEY! It was delicious.

After we headed to RCA (Royal City Avenue) which is the hub of Bangkok nightlife. I may have had a little too much to drink but I had "an angel" Shannon who made sure I was okay. Friday as you can imagine I spent the day in bed. And in the evening six of us went to the movies, we saw Twilight. Saturday President Emeritus, Rev. Brother Martin scheduled a little long boat trip for us. We were told that Thailand used to be known as Venice of the East using their waterways as a means of transportation. Thailand's traditional life in rural settings has always been linked to the "Krongs" or waterways. On our excursion we stopped at a 100-year old market known as Klong Suan.


After the boat trip majority of the group headed into Bangkok to go to a Wine tasting. This was another event found by Sam. For about $9 American dollars we had 3 hours of unlimited wine...dangerous. Later we headed to a club and danced the night away. There was one point, on the dance floor, where I really missed some of my friends...I got some dance party friends at home and I wanted you here to shake your groove thing with me. Sunday a few of us went to Chatachuk Weekend Market. It is the world's largest weekend market, they sell everything under the sun...from antiques to animals. We were there for about 4 hours and only got through about 1/4th of the market. HUGE, I tell you. I bought a knockoff Gucci workbag for about $6 american dollars! Sweet.

On an unrelated side note, due to the unnecessary drama with housing, classes, etc. A group of four of us have decided to rent a townhome in Bangkok, right around the corner from the HuaMak campus. Sam (from International Programs office) went apartment hunting with us a few weekends ago. We are still keeping our rooms (dorms) on the BangNa campus but have this apartment for when we have to teach our conversational courses from 6pm to 8pm at the HuaMak campus. Have I mentioned, I am not happy with having to create yet another new set of lesson plans??? Not happy at all.

Anyways this place is somewhat furnished and we have been busy buying sheets, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. for our new pad. Over the weekend (Saturday night) we stayed at our place instead of having to commute an hour to BangNa from the city. I will be heading there tonight with one of the other gals as I teach tomorrow at 9 am over there and it is so convenient. Right now we don't have internet access but Sam is looking into it for us. And I am not even going to tell you how much my rent is...its sick...okay okay I will...my share is less than $100 American dollars....nice! More pics of the townhome are in the slideshow below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope I get a chance to see the townhouse and the market.

JS&A said...

I want a Gucci bag =)
I want to go to the market! Looks like you are having a good time, besides your lesson plans tee hee.

Eileen said...

Come on, how hard can a conversational class be. Just throw out a question like "What do you think about a coup d'etat?" or "Don't you think Thailand should give that temple to Cambodia and quit fighting over it?" And then sit back and watch what happens. I bet there would be lots of conversation.

Anonymous said...

funny thing is one of meg's friends wants megan to teach an online
esl class for some university. Got any lesson plans????
Sean