November 23, 2008

Ko Samet

Early Friday morning half of our group set out for a weekend getaway trip. We headed to a little island by the name of 'Ko Samet'. The island is about 80% forest and is a national park. It was only about a three hour van ride with an additional 30 minute ferry ride to the island. BEAUTIFUL!

Thailand beaches have finally redeemed themselves, this was absolutely gorgeous! Perhaps one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen (and this island is supposedly not even one of the best, I have to travel further south for those). Friday night Shannon, Lauren, Jenn, and myself wandered around and found this cute place to eat on the beach...literally on the beach...mats on the sand, lanterns on the table, cushions as seats...adorable. After dinner we walked along the beach and heard a bar playing some good tunes and we gravitated towards it. It was a low key place where we befriended the two bartenders. We played Jenga with them as well as connect four. They gave us control of the music selection and taught us some bar tricks (how to get money from two bottles without touching the two bottles, etc). Here I flew my first 'khom loi' a.k.a. candle powered paper balloon lantern. It was awesome. We rounded off the evening with some sparklers, writing names in the sand, and a late night dip in the ocean...

Saturday, the rest of our group came to the island and we all went snorkeling. We got the entire boat to ourselves, sweet! On our 4 hour tour, we went to a fish farm, snorkeled the rocky uninhabited west side of the island, fished (many ate what was caught-I tasted), jumped from the top deck of the boat, and watched a glorious sunset. Lets just say that this day was near perfect. We continued on well into the night, starting with a group dinner then heading out to a couple beach bars where we spent majority of the night dancing. Fun Fun!

This morning was a rough one for some (me included...what?) but we sucked it up...got some grub and hit the beach before having to leave and come back to campus. I am telling you this place was wonderful! I am so excited to go back ...my mom and I are heading there for Christmas, YES!!!

10 comments:

Chicago Girl does good said...

Everything looks absolutely beautiful. You’ll have to show me the bar tricks

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to see Ko Samet.

Anonymous said...

Heidi.you look great..How much weight have you loat....

JS&A said...

So beautiful Wow!
Breath taking. I can't wait to see all the pics...

Eileen said...

What fun! I am living vicariously through you....wishing I could visit.

Unknown said...

I wanna go to the beach! It is so cold and yucky here!

Anonymous said...

Love the new "picture of the week" feature. Oh and PROMISE by this weekend I'll be on skype :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - every weekend is like being on a new vacation/adventure. That's so great! God, think of how much you'll have done and seen by the time a year passes!! I'm happy for you. Are you comfortable yet that you made the right decision to go there? I think it's pretty much settled. :o)

Anonymous said...

the pictures look incredible. i am sure mom and you will have a great time! you look fantastic in the pictures. Love the picture of the week feature-nice touch! I can't believe mom will be there soon. Have lots more fun and continue the adventures.
Adrianne

Anonymous said...

I love the pics, you sexy sexy hottie beautiful female! =P