November 14, 2008

Loi Krathong

The other evening was the full moon night of the twelfth lunar month here in Thailand. Which is also called "Loi Krathong". In Thai "Loi" means "to float" and "Krathong" is a raft. People usually make little banana-leaf boats to float onto the river. They are decorated with elaborately-folded banana leaves, flowers, candles, and incense sticks. They are intended to float away ill fortune as well as to express apologies to the River Goddess. One Tuesday the university had a Loi Krathong celebration and on Wednesday three of us went into the city to view the festivities.
I was so lucky that some of my students were performing at the celebration and I was able to take some pictures with them before they performed. Afterwards I headed to our little pond to view some of the students Krathongs.

On Wednesday night I bought a Krathong to float in the Chao Phraya River. I can use all the help I can get of letting go of some things in my life. If a little candle raft is going to help me get rid of some anger and grudges, so that I can start afresh and on a better foot then so be it!

At one point we were walking along a main street trying to find a way to the river and found a little alleyway that had a sign with a picture of a boat and a pier so we decided to walk down it. Good thing we did. We got to the pier right as the fireworks were starting and we had a front row view. It was beautiful. On our way back to the main road we stopped in this little restaurant for a drink and to stare at this weird looking fish (yes it's a real fish).


P.S. I have been in Southeast Asia a month now! Can you believe it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow the fireworks look great. Your students look so young. I want a drink like that when I come.
I can not believe it has been a month since you left. Thank God for Skype. I know Allie like to see you and hear you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the month anniversary! Sounds like you're getting acclimated--and must agree with your mom about the drink. One wonders why we can't have our beverages in such a fancy arrangement! :)

JS&A said...

Wow a month already!!!!
I want a drink too!
Sorry I have been MIA long story and I will email you about it. I finally downloaded Skype I will be getting the headset this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! Love all the pics.
adrianne

Anonymous said...

i want that fish to sing like that one....you know what i'm talking about?

Anonymous said...

Your students are adorable! Are you sure it's only been a month? I was thinking about you yesterday and was like, "wow, she's been gone 2 months already". Now you're telling me it's only been ONE month? Feels longer.

Thailand is hoppin'. It seems like there's something exciting going on every day!

Gotta run. Babysitting Tracey's kids and we're going to have a Yahtzee tournament. Woo hoo!

Talk soon. Miss you. xoxo

Chicago Girl does good said...

The boats look like cocktails…I love them. I hope it works and brings you good fortune. ~hugs~

Anonymous said...

Heidi, you are an awesome blogger! I am living vicariously through your wonderful adventures......your pictures and your details are so vivid! I am so proud of you!