November 9, 2008

Cheap Cheap Happy Hour

This past weekend a group of us headed south to a little place called 'Hua Hin'. Why? Cause we needed it! My first week of teaching was pretty crazy. I am not a trained teacher...I just play one in Thailand. Its all a learning process...right? I suck at lesson planning though. Thankfully I have teamed up with some teachers and we bounce ideas off each other! You know the teaching part is not bad, these kids are so much fun...all we do is laugh. Hey I am getting them talking and seeing that I am teaching Conversational English I think I am doing a good job. So far so good! This semester I am only teaching 3 classes. All of which are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Which is a pretty sweet deal if I say so myself. The other days I am in the office and working on lesson plans. I don't like lesson planning. Blech!!
So Friday afternoon a group of us headed for a little beach get-away! We took a van to Bangkok where we hopped on another van headed for Hua Hin. After our two hour van ride we arrived to Hua Hin...

We found our guesthouse and quickly freshened up and headed out for some grub. And street pad thai was had. mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm. Following eating we walked the streets and bounced in and out of bars. It was fun. Saturday morning we headed for the beach. It was overcast and hazy but relaxing and just what I needed. We were there for a few hours before the storm clouds came barreling through.

We successfully made it to a bar before the rain hit. YAY! When the rain cleared we headed back the guesthouse to "shit, shower, and shave" (as my dad would say) before taking the town by storm again! While waiting for some of our group a few of us noticed an artist working across the street. We approached him and talked with him for a bit. He was working on this portrait and my picture does not show the many intrinsic details he had on it. He said he started this picture three weeks ago and would not be done for another four. Wow is all I can say! He let us look at some of his pencil sketches as well and oh wow they were so beautiful! So detailed. This guy was adorable, nice, and so genuine. He laughed and was all smiles! It was wonderful.

Saturday night we once again pranced through Hua Hin having a few drinks before calling it a night. Today (Sunday) we stopped off at the beach for a bit but it was windy, cloudy, and a slight bit chilly. We decided to take a leisurely stroll and window shop on the way back to the guesthouse before taking the van back to Bangkok. And then a cab back to Bang Na. Home sweet home.


P.S. The title of this post is dedicated to all the Thai beach venders who would come up to us and say "cheap cheap happy hour" to try to get us to buy the goodies they were selling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like Florida. YEA I see another addition to the fish tally.

Chicago Girl does good said...

I love picture 19 and 21. I hope you came back relaxed, refreshed and ready to start a new week.

Unknown said...

Are you starting to like Fish yet?

Anonymous said...

Ajarn Heidi,

I am definitely living vicariously through you and your great adventure...only problem is that I have to pee alot...too much beer!

:)

Glad to hear that you are smoke-free and love, love, love the seafood tally!

xxoo Mary