January 21, 2009

Floating Market

Early (6am) Saturday morning Jenn, Lauren M., Shannon and I headed to one of the infamous Thailand Floating Markets. We chose Damnoensaduak Floating Market (about 2 hours southwest of Bangkok). After our long ride to the Market, we unload off the bus and are told in order to get to the market we need to take a boat. Okay okay okay. Fine. We ride the boat in the throngs of the floating market. Cool Cool Cool. Snap some pics, get out of the boat, eat, walk around, buy some AMAZING art. Then head back to Bangkok. Yay another 2 hour bus ride back. We then headed to Khao San Road for some dinner and back home. Long day. I was exhausted.

You know all the books say the floating markets are something not to be missed when visiting Thailand but I felt I could have done without it. Not sure if that is because it was purely "for show" for all the tourists...there were no Thai people there except for the workers. I guess you could say I had higher expectations for the floating market.

Besides that I have been busy with all my lesson planning, teaching, awaiting for Emmett and Liz's arrival, and vacation planning. Actually right at this moment...Shannon is trying to purchase our tickets to the Philippines. YAHOO! In about 5 weeks time, I will have 8 weeks of uninterrupted VACATION TIME! (Yes, now this is the real reason I came to Thailand!!!) The rough plan is head to northern Thailand, then over to Laos, Vietnam, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia and then finally up from the south of Thailand. (All subject to change) Fun fun! Now hmmmf how does one pay for all these trips on this scrawny teaching salary??? Thank goodness for CREDIT CARDS!!! HA.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I want 8 weeks of vacation! Shiiit...

Anonymous said...

Did you buy anything?? Love the pictures

Mom

heidibrusek said...

I bought an amazing piece of art. This guy had just finished painting it that morning. I will take a picture of it and post.

Chicago Girl does good said...

Oh credit cards....got to love them.