March 25, 2010

Sukhothai

Earlier in the week I ventured north to Sukhothai...which literally translates to 'Dawn of Happiness' and had a wonderful time. I took a morning train (for 6 hours) to Phitsanulok where I wandered around aimlessly for a few hours not knowing where I was or what I was doing before jumping on a motorbike taxi to the bus station and catching an early evening bus to Sukhothai. Here I found the cutest little family run guesthouse, had some delicious dinner then went for an evening stroll around town.
In the morning I headed to Old Sukhothai Historical Park. A brief history lesson for you... Sukhothai was established as Thailand's capital from 1238-1448. After this time the capital was moved to Ayutthaya until 1767 when it fell to the Burmese. Then moved for 15 years to Thonburi and then Bangkok, the current capital. The Sukhothai Historical Park covers the ruins of the ancient glorious Sukhothai Kingdom. UNESCO declared it a World Heritage Site in December 1991. Here I rented a bicycle and went exploring. It sure was a hot day but still I managed to bike around for about 4 hours. As I rode around I was all smiles. I was quite content biking through all the ruins. Such a lovely place. Wish I had more time there. But alas I had to head back to Bangkok on an overnight train to finish up some loose ends before I start my traveling.

No comments: