March 28, 2009

Laung Prabang, Laos



Laos is apparently one of Southeast Asia's most relaxing destinations. I can see it! Lauren and I got to Luang Prabang the other afternoon and immediately I fell in love with this place. I don't know how to describe it but its a place I very much like.

So we found a guesthouse for 50,000kip...equivalent to about $6.00 USD. SICK I know. We decided to wonder a bit and stumbled upon the night market. DANGEROUS. I may or may not have bought quite a bit. I got a pretty decent Khmu massage (which combines palm strokes and thumb pressure to relieve muscle tension). I dig!

We went to Wat Xieng Thong which is Luang Prabang's most magnificent temple. There is this tree-of-life mosaic that was stunning. We took at slow boat down the Mekong River to a cave full of Buddha's. We also walked up the "unmissable landmark" Phu Si, climbing 248 stairs to the steep top we got to see panoramic views of the little town.

Also my vegetarianism didn't last very long. What 2-3 days. HA. Also I had to try the beer in Laos...even though I gave it up for Lent I absolutely had to try Beer LAO Dark. It was a must have. I mean I probably will not be in Laos again. So I had to try the beer...MMMM good.

4 comments:

JS&A said...

I can't wait to see pictures!!!
Be safe have fun!!!

Mom said...

I hope you took a lot of pictures. Can't wait to talk to you about your adventures

Linda Flaherty said...

Since you've been cooking, I expect to taste some of these treats when you are back in the States. I hope your vacation is going well and take good care. It was good to see the photos of Elizabeth and Emmett. I'm sure they had a great time.

Love,
Linda Flaherty

Eileen said...

OOOH Christmas Presents from the Laos night market...